Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness

Smile. What is a smile? Does it really show happiness or was that what society said it had to be? Is it just that our culture says that's what it is or is it just because it is? How do we know that someone doesn't just smile to keep people from asking questions? Do they just smile to make it seem like everything is o.k. or in all reality is everything just wrong? How can we tell when someone is really actually happy? Some say you can tell by the sound in their voice and the look in their eyes but... I don't believe that. I think you just need to talk to them. Because a smile is worth a thousand words.

What is "the pursuit of happiness"? What is it really? We, as Americans, have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness but does anyone really know what it is? Is it different for everyone or is it really the same? Do people actually pursue to be happy? Do we look for happiness in everything that we do? What about knowing that we are going to get hurt in something we do? Are we seeking happiness in that or what is it that we are doing? The pursuit of happiness cannot be defined, or, can it?

Love. What is love? Why do we feel we need to be loved? Why do we fall in love? Why do we just love? Why do people love us? Why do people love things? Love is so confusing and it can bring you down but it can bring you up. Do we look for love or just wait for it? Is it all planned out or are we to make it?

Life comes with twists and turns. I never understand why. I have many a many times smiled just because people wanted me to but I didn't want to. I wanted to sulk in all my misery because life just.. Sucked. I would just smile and fake everything. The people who really know me... Were the only ones to really care.
I have wondered what I was to be pursuing as far as happiness. Is it love, money, success, or what is it really? I want to be loved. I want to be well-off. Call me greedy but who doesn't? I want to be successful doing what I want and love to do. Does that make me a bad person?

I love to smile because I love to feel happy. I pursue happiness in what I do. I feel like I could get hurt in some of the things I do but for moment, I can feel that happiness and that is worth all the pain. I love to love and I love being loved. Sometimes I don't feel the love but I know it's there. So, I'm going to smile because I am loved and I love and that makes me happy.

No comments: