Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Love You in Another World

It's kind of amazing how many different ways and languages there are to say "I love you". There's even special ways to say it. Female to male, male to female, and even ways to say it to your pets. There are certain ways to say it to your friends and even to your teachers. Even within the same language, it could be used differently in another country that speaks the same language. But do you always say it in our language and actually mean it? Or do we say it in some other language because well.. We are actually afraid to say it so the listener feels good about themselves? Is that reason why we say "I love you"? Do we just want to please them? Or do we actually mean it? Love is so.. Intense.. Or is it? Love is so.. Capturing.. Or is it? What is love? Webster would define it as "a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person." But would you consider it as such? Is it just a word we toss around? Has it lost it's meaning to lust and sex? Is there still hope out there for those of us who actually seek love?

I don't understand people who just settle for someone. Why wouldn't you want to strive for the person that you feel so passionately about? Is it because you come from two different worlds; you're an outcast and they're the most popular person? Are they younger than you and you are just worried that people will make fun of you? Are they older than you and you just aren't comfortable with being with someone older? Are you really worried about what other people think? Are you? Do you care that your friends think that the one you have fallen for is hideous? Or do you care that they are everything you could ask for? Do you honestly like them or are you just leading them on?

Why would you lead someone on? It hurts. There is no love in that.

J'capote su' toe' (Canadian French-basically, I'm head over heels for you)
Ik ben verliefd op je (Dutch- I am in love with you)
Se latrevo (Greek-I adore you)
Aloha wau ia 'oe nui loa (Hawaiian- I love you very much)
Kocham cie (Polish- I love you)
Ya tyebya lyublyu (Russian-I love you)
T'estim molt (Catalan- I love you very much)
Ti amo, Ti voglio bene (Between friends), Ti voglio (strong sexual reference)-Italian- I love you
Ego Amo te (Latin- I love you--Ego for emphasis)
I love you (English-generally meaning.. I love you, you dumbass. Get it through your head)

The word "love" is thrown around. It is played around with and.. Wherever you go, it means just about the same thing. While it's great to hear it in another language, saying it in person, with your language.. Beats out all else. I love you, simply that.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I often wonder if I truly know the meaning of love. I've said it when I know I didn't mean it, but I've said it before and thought I meant it.

I'm not sure if I've ever really loved before.